“This project is a repositioning of a great historic asset as a renewed work environment for technology and goods” Stan Lew AIA, LEED AP
Featured in the inaugural issue of Henry, the new magazine of the San Francisco Design Center, RMW’s renovation of the recently landmark-designated building at 2 Henry Adams will “further cement its centrality to the local interior design trade as well as its physical permanence.” said Ann-Mihn Le of Henry. Designed by Leo J. Devlin and constructed in 1915, the five-story 328,508-sf structure was initially built for Dunham Carrigan & Hayden Hardware Company and has since undergone seismic upgrades. In 2016 RMW, Glumac, Telesis, Langan, and CCI began base building upgrades to improve infrastructure and systems.
Today, amid multiple showrooms filled with premium finishes, meticulous sandblasting and paint stripping continue to expose brick walls and the 14×14 grid of heavy timber beams in preparation for new elevators, restrooms, and restaurant with the expertise of general contractor and SFDC tenant, CCI. RMW’s collaboration with the long-standing tenant, Geoffrey De Sousa Interior Design, will bring a grand new lobby to the Henry Adams street entrance.
The scope also includes exterior upgrades to add amenities and engage the transforming neighborhood. RMW project partners RHAA and Langan will update the surrounding sidewalks and create a public plaza at the northern triangle with seating and potential for a coffee kiosk. This urban oasis will temper the connection to Division Street and create a more welcoming northern entry.
True to its legacy as a hub for makers, Samsara, the developers of enterprise-grade hardware and cloud software for sensors will occupy the 149,953-sf fourth and fifth floors. The fifth floor will feature skylights, to increase daylight and access to usable outdoor space, offering views of the city skyline to occupants of this historic structure.